svg cuts banner

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Birds of a Feather in Love

Happy Saturday Y'all!
I hope you're all having a nice day. It is windy here with some clouds but overall the weather is nice. I wish I could say that for everyone. I am thinking of y'all that are freezing and those of you suffering with the flu. I know many are affected. You all have my prayers.

I am sure some of you have read that I am going to be purchasing a Eclips 2. I wish I could say that I love my cameo and that I am sticking with it but over the years the new software has not be user friendly. There are other reasons but I won't go into it.  I have reached my patience limit and I have decided that I prefer crafting to not. Therefore I will be buying an eclips 2 as soon as I am able, that and a ton of card stock. I am in serious need.

I started with the blank tall lantern from Spooky Soiree SVG Kit. You can find the blank lantern in the extras file.  I used one of the free Valentine's files that Mary Bonk shared. The other collections I used were as follows Romantic Flourishes SVG Collection,  and Robins Return SVG Collection, Free Valentines Day SVG.

I began by adding the corner flourishes from the freebies to the blank lantern sizing and welding them as I went. You will need to ungroup and release compound path (if your using silhouette) to weld these pieces and not loose your score lines.  I knew I wanted to add a bird so I found one in the Robbins Return Collection. I added the little cuts to the body to look like wings. I added the ornament from Valentine Country Home and welded it to the flourish for the bird. I also made a small circle for the eye and then subtracted it from the body. I will say that this is the second lantern I made as I stopped at this point and was going to call it finished except for some embellishment but It was to plain for my liking. I will post a photo of it at the bottom of this post. I do like it but it is different.
Here is where this one differs, I opened my pdf of Romantic Flourishes and found number 15. I loved this one but the heart would need to be welded to something if it were to cut out in one piece. Ungroup number 15 and use the flourish welding the heart into place at various places. I made different sizes as well as multiples of the heart so that I could do cut outs on some of the hearts.
You may need to go back and delete nodes so that you get a smoother cut, I did.

I used Carina Gardner Valentines digital paper from Snap Click Supply for my panels. I print my own paper. I wish I could say that my silhouette does the print and cut wonderfully but that was the last straw for me. It quit working this past summer shortly after they did yet another upgrade. I have tried to get it to work again but to no avail.  I have tried to get help from customer service that didn't work our well for me either. In order to use the paper I had in mind I printed it out then cut it by hand.
Assemble the lantern as instructed by Mary on the video from Spooky Soiree.
I added some feathers, flower sprays, and ribbon roses along with my love ribbon I think I have had at least 7 years!
So there you have it my Valentine Lantern using Spooky Soiree SVG Kit.
I look forward to seeing your ideas if you should decide to make this. Please feel free to share your photos on SVG cuts or Pinterest or on my facebook page, Shara's Paper Creations.

Thank you so much  for stopping my and reading my blog. To the Silhouette users that are having no issues I am very happy your not having issues. I thought about it a lot and decided that if Mary is still using her eclips and has a counter full of machines she doesn't use, well maybe I should switch as well. I just got very tired of becoming frustrated every time I wanted to make something. Thank you all for stopping by and Happy Craftin' Y'all! Blessings, Sharalyn

Spooky Soiree SVG Kit
Romantic Flourishes SVG Collection
Valentine Country Home Elements Collection
Robins Return SVG Collection
Free Valentines Day SVG


Vintage Valentine's Paper Pack
This is where I buy my digital paper.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you changed up the lantern. Perfect for Valentine's Day.


    Mike Fernholz
    Dezinesbyem
    dezinesbyem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, It is so easy with a blank lantern to begin with. ALWAYS check the extras files.

      Delete