svg cuts banner

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Spring is Calling Daffodil Telephone Contest Entry


Hey y'all!!!,
Happy Pre- Resurrection Day!!!!!
I told y'all I would share my instructions to the Daffodil phone as soon as the contest was over and I am keeping my promise to Y'all!
So I was designing the pieces for another phone I had been working on and I heard in my head ( spring is calling). OK now I know that sounds weird but let me say I always pray before I make something for someone and I always ask God should I enter the contest and what should I make. If that is weird then OK I AM WEIRD! Call me a Jesus freak to my face and you'll get a huge grin, that's me. That said, I smiled and said OK then kept designing and I heard again Spring is calling... OK OK God I get it I said. I  saved the file I was working on and went to work designing the daffodil phone, smiling to myself as I just think God is  to funny.

Start with the dress form from the Dress Shop SVG Kit. I used the stand and also used Deb's idea for weighting it from Deb's Crafty Side blog. She told how she made and extra piece with a whole in the bottom for her finger to hold it but you'll have to go to her blog to read it  because you need to visit her blog anyway. She is an awesome gal and has many great ideas. Anyhoo. I did as she did but I have trouble cutting with scissors because of tendonitis.  :P  So I made it a tiny bit smaller put the hole in the center and cut it out of chipboard on my Silhouette.  (I used the cardboard that the American Craft paper comes in when you buy a mulit pack) I cut two of those and glued them together. I didn't have the same stones Deb had from the Dollar tree but I had the pretty ones. Same price  so I used those. I glued them into place with Tim Holtz Glossy Accents. I have a huge  bottle of that stuff and LOVE IT! It is great for gluing things you just aren't sure will hold with regular glue.  Do as Deb suggests and glue the flaps onto the bottom then cover up the piece with your extra piece.

 I  had these tubes from the glow sticks you can buy from the dollar tree. Apparently the glow sticks are or were inside these tubes and I had bought some for my grand-kids for the 4th last year.  My daughter saw them and had everyone save them for me.(lol love that kid)  It was perfect for the center tube or stem. I put that down the center to stabilize the stem as I knew I was going to put weight on the top. I hot glued that to inside of the tube on the Telephone. I separated the base pieces so I cannot tell you the size to make the whole thing but your base Octagon should be W 3.168 . If your octagon is that size then the rest of the pieces for that should fit. I inked the whole thing with Old Olive Ink from Stampin up.

 The piece around the bottom that is scalloped is super easy to make. Here is how.
 Make a rectangle that is W 2.187 and about an inch high then make ten or less small circles and arrange them across the top. I use Silhouette designer addition to design in so it is super easy to duplicate and then align them evenly but, eyeball it if you don't have that.  I UN-welded and re-welded several times till I got it the way I wanted. Now if you have a crimp-er
or the Note book embossing folder that will make the lines down the sides of the stem.  I don't have either so I used my score board.  I used my forest branches embossing folder for the rest of the embossing on the stem, leaves, and head of the phone. Glue the small rectangle piece around the bottom of the stem or tube. I felt this gave the bottom more stability and covered up the bottom so it looked like part of the flower bed.



Cut the base bottom again this time the octagon should measure W. 2.230  If the octagon is this size the rest of the pieces should fit as well. When you glue this one together DO NOT glue the long end pieces together. Not sure this is clear but I mean the piece that the tube would fit into. You will hot glue those onto the front first then wrap the other pieces around the back of the top of the tube. To sort of cover that up, you will use a curly vine from Pick A Pumpkin and wrap that around the pieces you just hot glued onto the tube hot gluing those wherever needed. Use another curly vine and carefully emboss it then glue on the edges of the base. You don't have to but that is what I did and yes it did fall apart after I embossed it but I used it anyway.  I should mention that I have a fine tip hot glue gun I bought on Amazon that is for detail work. Love this as it allows a tiny bit of glue and not a huge glob.

Now make the Daffodil from the 3d flowers 1 SVG Kit. I cut two petals and glued them together for extra thickness. Cut the petals at W3.422 If you import the centers at the same time you can get the correct size for the whole Daffodil. I inked the edges of the daffodil with Daffodil Delight ink from Stampin up and made short quick link strokes with the pen in that color as well on the yellow petals. As the two petal layers are drying when you glue them together give the paper a curve. If you try to do that after it dries flat it will come unglued or not curve well at all. There is a small glossy accents glob on one of the petals for a dew drop. The stamens of the flower was doted with an Rust  maker. I inked the edges of the orange center part of the daffodil with Only Orange ink as well. I used my flower shaping tools on the center and on the pansies to help break the fibers a bit so the flower can have more curve to it. Put the daffodil together and attach leaves which are cut at W3.407. I also used the Forest Branches embossing folder on the leaves as well as inking them with Old Olive Ink from Stampin up. Cut several curly vines and curl around a pencil then hot glue in place. Glue one as if it is coming out the back of the phone and the other behind the top back I will add photos of how I did that. I used three leaves glued together then attached it with a brad and hot glue into the tube for the ear piece holder. I poked a whole then squirted hot glue into it then stuck the leaves and brad on that. I glued the long straight leaf to the stem and tucked the tip of the leaf into the scalloped edge around the base. Bend your leaves over so they can hold the ear piece. You will glue the leaves to the ear piece to hold it in place later.
Tired yet???? Now onto the ear piece. Cut the Lilly cup cake holder from Spring cup cake holders SVG Kit at W 6.50 and cut the knob from the Victorian Tea pot from Honeybee Tea SVG Kit at W 4.545. Put the knob together and then glue the Lilly cup cake holder to the outside of the knob. To make fit a bit better I sniped the edges of the knob up a bit so that the flaps from it would fit the Lilly cup cake holder better. Ink the edges of the white Lilly with a lime green colored ink. Wrap a thin curly vine around the top of the cupcake holder to cover that part of it. The stamens of the flowers were cut with AC card stock Dandelion color at H 3.603 W0.346I made dots on the stamen tips as if it were pollen.

I used coffee colored AC Card Stock for the base accents and my tiny bubbles embossing folder. I used a dark brown ink pad and blotted it a bit on the accents then took my gold ink pad and tapped it in a few places as well. The pansies are cut at W 1.206  leaves are cut at the same size. I did the short quick lines on the petals of the lavender AC card stock on the pansies, three lines on each petal. I cut the centers with the Dandelion color again and glued them together. The Dark purple paper is from is Stampin up and is called Egg plant.Glue the flowers and leaves together then hot glue to the base.

Ok I am tired of writing are you tired of reading? When your doing this you don't realize how much you actually did.  The caterpillar is made using the curly vines a well. Curled and hot glued in place. I started with the black, glued it into place and though you can't see it there are centers from the wildflower underneath the caterpillar feet. You can leave them out if you want as most people didn't even notice.  if you want to cut legs they are cut at W 0.738.  Once you have the black in place then curl the white and the orange and thread them around and through the black. Hot glue those where ever needed. I found two black buttons that are often used as eyes for stuff animals in my stash and hot glued those in the ends for the head and backside of the caterpillar. A round or half round black or white button will work as well.  The inteni on the back of the caterpillar are the stamens from the daffodil cut extremely small!  REALLY!!! W 0.458  I used the scotch quick dry glue for to attach those. Put small dots of glue on that and lay each stamen into the glue glob. You will have to cut them apart. I used tweezers to hold them  as I cut them apart.
The Butterfly is from Breezy Meadow Butterflies SVG Collection and it is the top of the #2 butterfly. I cut two of those  at W 2.662 and then put four small glue globs onto the black and used Art Glitter's Sapphire glitter to make the blue dots. The yellow is actually yellow tissue paper that is mod podge into place and then the other black piece glued to the back. Set it aside and let it dry first before adding the rest pieces of butterfly.  Make one black curly vine for the body of the butterfly and hot glue that onto the underside, take two of the centers of the daffodils you cut easier to make the inteni for the butterfly. The legs are curly vine as well cut very thin H. 0.172 Glue those onto the body of the butterfly then bend the legs so they look like butterfly legs and glue onto the flower so it looks like the butterfly is trying to speak into the receiver.  I had the pleasure of watching a new butterfly as it moved its tongue out and back to bring the two straight pieces together. It was quite interesting and at the same time I noticed how their legs were bent at a knee and then at an ankle. There is a tongue on this guy as well,  just use another thin curly vine and glue to the underside of the butterfly by the head.

We are in the home stretch now. The dial is from Bicycle Built for Two SVG Collection and is cut  at W 1.533.  I had to group the numbers to the dial to make them cut out of the one middle dial. I used a dark color under the middle piece to make them show up and glued all the layers together then ran them through my big shot using the tiny bubbles embossing folder to smash all the layers together. I think I did run it through the machine about 4 to 6 times. This was to make it look like a stepping stone from a garden. Now the brad with the bee I had from MME Charmed collection. I remember when I got it that I though what am I going to do with that???? Little did I know I would be making this.

That is it as I look at this blog post I think Wow I really did a lot to make this. But after the first one, the second went together very fast. Even though I had to invent the bee on Tammy's as I didn't  have another brad with a bee. LOL OK, AS ALWAYS if you have ANY questions on what I did ask me. I have no problem telling you. Thank you all for understanding and waiting for these instructions.  I would love to see your versions of this Dandelion Telephone so please post on my shara's paper creations Facebook page or on SVG cuts Facebook page.
So many of my crafty friends have been under sooooo much snow and cold weather that it only made sense at this point to have the butterfly call for spring to come to Y'all. I will list all the kits, collections and supplies at the bottom of this post but do yourself a favor and get up and stretch. Lol You have earned it! Thanks so very much for stopping by and reading my blog/book and  Happy Craftin' Y'all! Blessings Sharalyn

I am also including a link to Deb's Crafty Side so you can read how she made the weighted bottom for the dress form. Very clever really! Deb's Crafty Side 

Kits and Collections used:
 Dress Shop SVG Kit
3D Flowers SVG Kit l
3D Flowers SVG Kit ll
Pick A Pumpkin SVG Kit

Spring Cupcake Wrappers SVG Kit
Breezy Meadow Butterflies SVG Collection
Honeybee Tea SVG Kit
Bicycle Built for Two SVG Collection

Supplies Used:
American Craft Card Stock: Pine, Dandelion, Lemon, Carrot, Black, White, Coffee, Carmel, Graphite, Chocolate, Ash, Evergreen (leaves for pansies), Lavender
Two half round black buttons
One Brad from My Minds Eye Charmed Collection: Bee
One small Green Brad
Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive
Stampin up Ink Pads and Pen: Old Olive, Daffodil Delight, Marigold, Lucky Limeade, Dusty Durango Pen, Daffodil Delight Pen and Wisteria Wonder Pen.
Cuttlebug Embossing Folders: Tiny Bubbles, Forest Branches.
Martha Stewart Scoring Board.
Mc Gill Flower Shaping Tools
Surebonder Detail Mini High Temperature glue gun
 Hot Glue

While writing this up I realized all my links on a several of my last posts did not lead you to the product page. I apologize for this. It has been fixed on this blog but I will have to go back to previous posts and fix them. So Sorry!

2 comments:

  1. Bonjour Sharalyn! I love all your details! Its great project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour Monika! Merci! Welcome my friend!

    ReplyDelete